Thursday, September 11, 2008
I haven't posted in a long time because I've been fighting a flare up of my CFS, nursing a sick dog, and...wait for it... completing projects! I finished the baby blanket for my cousin and his wife. It's the Show Off Baby Blanket designed by Carol Holding that's featured in the Leisure Arts booklet Beginner's Guide Crochet Stitches and Easy Projects. I used Lion Brand Baby Soft in Cream.
I've learned that I really dislike bobbles. I know, they give a crocheted item a lot of texture and can look nice. But, they're a pain. They take a while to complete, at least for me. The crossed stitches were fine, but I had a little trouble initially figuring out the cable stitches. Once I did them a few times, they were easy.
Two days before the Christening, I panicked, thinking this blanket wasn't enough of a gift for them. I wanted to find a pattern for a quick baby sweater that would match. I tried a couple of patterns, but ended up not finishing one, just yet, and frogging the other. The second pattern worked up quickly, but I had so much trouble with knots and tangles in the yarn, or the yarn itself frayed, the sweater looked awful. I will try again but may design my own pattern.
I've also joined the Lion Brand Crochet-A-Long, doing the Crochet Sampler Afghan at Lion Brand.com. Instead of using the Fisherman's Wool- I'm very allergic to wool and most, if not all animal fibers , as well as some plant fibers (e.g, flax), so I'm using Vanna's Choice in Beige. I did a panel in Cotton Ease, but Vanna's Choice is a lot softer and cuddlier. To get the correct gauge, I dropped down to a size H hook. I have a few squares finished, and am splitting my time between this and a baby blanket I mentioned in my last post, and another one I started with Bernat Baby Jacquards. I'm designing both of them, and will post more about them later this week.
I needed a quick knitting project in the midst of the final push of my cousin's baby blanket, and found a few skeins of Bernat Organic Cotton on clearance at JoAnn Fabrics. This is the baby bootie pattern on the label, and although it was very easy to complete, I need work on my sewing techniques, lol!
I also finished a couple of crocheted hot pads/potholders out of Christmas yarn, from a pattern I found amongst my late mother's things. I'll also be sharing the status of some of my other projects from my last post.